Adipex and Reductil are prescribed for obesity treatment. Both drugs have anorexigenic effect, which helps reducing body weight. Adipex and Reductil are prescribed to treat alimentary obesity in people with a BMI over 30. Adipex and Reductil may also be indicated in BMI equal to 27 in obesity-associated diseases (diabetes, dyslipoproteinemia).
- Adipex is produced by Teva Pharmaceutical Industries LTD Company.
Adipex is available in tablets and capsules. Each Adipex tablet or capsule contains 37.5 mg of Phentermine hydrochloride (equivalent to 30 mg Phentermine base).
World market disposes of Phentermine containing weight loss drugs in different countries by different manufacturers under many trademarks.
For example, in New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, Phentermine is sold under Duromine trademark. In the U.S., weight loss drugs, containing Phentermine, are available under such trade names, as: Adipex-P, Phentermine hydrochloride, Suprenza and Qsymia.
Reductil manufacturer is the largest U.S. pharmaceutical company, Abbott Laboratories. Reductil is one of the trade names of Sibutramine weight loss drug. In the U.S.,
Sibutramine first appeared on the market, under Meridia trade name, in 1997. Reductil is available in capsules for oral administration. Each capsule contains 10mg of Reductil or 15 mg of Sibutramine.
Today, Reductil is only available in South Africa. There you can buy weight loss drug Sibutramine under following trade names:
- Reductil 10 mg and 15 mg – manufacturer Abbott Laboratories
- Ectiva 10 mg and 15 mg – manufacturer Abbott Laboratories
- Leatil 10 mg – manufacturer Adcock Ingram Limited
- Leantil 15 mg – manufacturer Adcock Ingram Limited
- Ciplatrim 10mg and 15mg – manufacturer Cipla Medpro (Pty) Ltd
- Adipex and Reductil belong to the group of weight loss drugs, called anorectics or appetite suppressants. Anorectics affect the central nervous system (CNS), thus depressing appetite. Loss of appetite, caused by Adipex or Reductil, ultimately promotes weight loss. At that, Reductil and Adipex affect different parts of the CNS.
Reductil anorexigenic effect is provided by metabolites that are secondary and primary amines. Thus, Reductil:
- inhibits monoamines reuptake (serotonin and norepinephrine)
- reduces appetite by altering central noradrenergic functions
- increases thermogenesis by activating beta3-adrenoceptors
- reduces the quantity of brown adipose tissue in the body
Appetite suppressant effect of sympathomimetic amine Adipex is reached by its action on the hypothalamus, as well as dopaminergic and noradrenergic nervous system areas.
Adipex slimming pills:
- Suppress appetite and increase the feeling of satiety
- Increase energy and physical endurance
- Prevent re-accumulation of fat mass
- Phasellus auctor augue
Anorectics Adipex and Reductil are contraindicated in severe and uncontrolled hypertension, glaucoma, thyroid disease, pregnancy and lactation, the presence or history of cardiovascular diseases, history of drug and alcohol abuse, mental illness and depression, extended atherosclerosis and hyperthyroidism, severe renal or hepatic failure.
Anorectic drugs Adipex and Reductil are contraindicated for obesity treatment in the elderly (over 65 years) and adolescents (under 16 years).
Adipex and Reductil diet pills should not be taken within 14 days before and after taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).
Adipex and Reductil slimming pills should not be taken in combination with other CNS stimulants, as well.
In addition to general Adipex contraindications, Reductil weight loss drug is contraindicated in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Reductil should not be taken for weight loss in pheochromocytoma (hormonally active adrenal gland tumor).
At the beginning of anti-obesity therapy with anorectics Reductil and Adipex, the following side effects are possible: dizziness, nausea, dry mouth, restlessness, sleeplessness, diarrhea or constipation, palpitations.
Side effects are usually mild and disappear on their own within a few days from the start of Adipex or Reductil use.
- In rare cases, Adipex pills may be discontinued because of tachycardia and (or) arrhythmia.
In certain cases of Reductil treatment, unusual side effects were observed, such as acute interstitial nephritis, purpura Henoch-Shonleyn, seizures, transient increase in liver enzymes, and thrombocytopenia.
Method of administration
Adipex weight loss tablets are recommended to be taken in the morning on an empty stomach, or 1-2 hours after breakfast.
- Adipex 37.5mg tablets should be taken in the morning at the same time with plenty of water. It is recommended to start obesity therapy with one Adipex 37.5mg tablet, once a day.
- In cases, when the initial Adipex 37.5 mg dose (equivalent to 30 mg Phentermine) is accompanied by an allergic reaction or side effects, Adipex dose can be reduced by half. When reducing Adipex 37.5mg dose, the patient should take half a tablet Adipex in 18.75mg dose (equivalent to 15 mg), once a day.
Adipex is designated as short-term supplement in conjunction with a low calorie diet and exercise. Duration of Adipex treatment is 12 weeks. Long-term Adipex use may cause tolerance.
Doctors suggest starting anti-obesity therapy with one Reductil 10 mg capsule. If taking Reductil 10 mg for 4 weeks results in body weight decrease by less than 2 kg, the daily Reductil dose can be increased to 15 mg (1 Reductil 15 mg capsule).
Patients, who respond poorly to Reductil 15 mg, i.e. their weight decreases by only 2 kg within 4 weeks, Reductil diet capsules should be discontinued. Anti-obesity therapy should be discontinued, if weight decreases by less than 5% within 3 months of taking Reductil capsules.
Reductil capsules should be taken on an empty stomach in the morning or during a meal without chewing, with plenty of water.
- Duration of weight loss drug, Reductil, therapy is 1 year.
- There is no data on efficacy and safety of using Reductil capsules more than 12 months.
To maintain weight at the reached level, the patient should follow a balanced diet and active lifestyle after finishing treatment with Adipex or Reductil. Without diet and physical activity, there is a high risk of regaining the weight, lost during the anti-obesity therapy.
If you want to reduce body weight by means of Adipex drug but have never taken this anorexigenic drug, make sure that you have no contraindications to it. Before buying Adipex online in the USA, you can get a reliable information on this weight loss drug by email.