Controlling weight: divide et impera
“I combine foods – bun in one hand and the hot dog in the other”. If this is the “modification” of the food combining diet you were keeping to, and didn’t manage to lose weight, do not despair! Yet, you will have to choose which you eliminate: the bun or the hot dog.
The main advantage of the food combining system is the lack of strict prohibitions and, therefore, caving.
The creator of the food combining system is doctor-naturopath Herbert Shelton. Quite a controversial personality, we should say. He was loved and hated. Crowds of fans, who were following his teachings, idolized him. Disgruntled drugs manufacturers were cursing him.
Shelton did not only flatly refuse to place drugs advertising in his magazine, but was also convinced that a healthy lifestyle is more important, than the achievements of pharmacology.
His approach to food is partially based on his observations of sick animals on the farm, who preferred to go hungry during the illness. The paradox is that there is no scientific justification of Dr. Shelton’s theory of up until present time. Yet, this fact does not stop people from losing weight while they keep to the food combining system.
The information provided in article is a kind of thesis, adapted for use in everyday life. If you want to get the most complete impression of Dr. Shelton’s views, refer to the original sources.
Basic rules of the food combining system
1. The main principle states that you must consume carbohydrates not earlier, than four hours after a protein meal.
2. Have no more than 3-4 products in a meal and guide by the combinations:
- “protein + neutral product”
- “carbohydrate + neutral product”
Even vegetable salad should contain no more than 2-3 kinds of vegetables.
3. With each protein food, you should eat a salad of non-starchy vegetables (Chinese lettuce, celery, cucumbers, radishes, peppers).
4. Do not mix carbohydrate foods (bread, beans, figs, bananas) with acidic foods (lemon, orange, grapefruit, pineapple, tomato). Do not be surprised by the presence of tomatoes in the list. This vegetable is rich in acids (citric, malic oxalic).
5. Do not mix protein foods (lean meat, fish, eggs, cottage cheese) with acidic foods.
6. Exclude sugar from your diet and completely replace it with honey.
7. “Monotonous” menu is not allowed. Food should be varied during the day.
8. Bread is considered an independent food, and not an addition to any meal.
Starchy products include:
- oats and their products,
Starchy vegetables are:
- parsley and celery roots,
Concentrated carbohydrates (white bread, candy, jam, dried fruits) and concentrated proteins (nuts, meats, eggs, cheese).
Melon is not compatible at all with any products. You must eat it alone.